A Very Special Meeting
A little boy from Wasagamack named Matthew Harper attended the Manitoba Council for Exceptional Children Conference on February 22, 2013. Matthew was born without arms, as was the Keynote Speaker Alvin Law who is an award winning musician, best-selling author and member of the Canadian Association of Professional Speakers Hall of Fame. The MFNERC & the MCEC arranged for Matthew and Alvin to meet and spend some time together during the conference.
MCEC Conferences are one way that MCEC meets its mandate of advancing effective practices in providing services to children and youth with exceptional needs and supporting persons working to achieve those practices. Each year, MCEC hosts at least two conferences; usually held in the Winnipeg area. Check here regularly for a list of upcoming sessions hosted by MCEC.
Victoria Inn (Winnipeg)
February 21-22, 2013
The 2013 conference featured three keynote speakers:
- Dr. Martin Brokenleg, co-founder of the Circle of Courage model and serves as a Vice President of Reclaiming Youth International, providing training for individuals who work with youth at risk.
- Alvin Law, award winning musician, best-selling author and member of the Canadian Association of Professional Speakers Hall of Fame.
- Dr. Christy Chambers, president of CEC and 2008 award recipient for the CASE Harrie Selznick Leadership Award.
- Handout #1 - The Journey to Effective Leadership: skills and resources to support the veteran and emerging leader (PPT 1073 KB)
- Handout #2 - Leading with Heart in Times of Cardiac Arrest (PPT 902 KB)
Other speakers included:
- Michael Bennett, RETSD
- Benetta Benson, Program Director, OHEYS Autism Programs
- Kevin Biggar, Speech Language Pathologist, SJSD
- Sherri Black, RETSD
- Susie Blackstien-Adler, Professional Development, Bridges
- Kristian Hooker, Co-Founder and PR Manager, H.A.L.E. Autism: Help Autism Live Everywhere
- Lynn Hooker, Educational Assistant, LSSD
- Sarah James, Behaviour Intervention Resource Teacher, Educational Support Services, SJSD
- Handout - Living Outside the Box (PDF 4.97 MB)
- Anne Kresta, Community Living Manitoba
- Maxine Mutcher, Psychologist, PLPSD
- Dr. Karen Pain, Psychologist, PLPSD
- Bogdan Pospielovsky, Manager of Business Development, Bridges
- Marilyn Preston, Behaviour Intervention Resource Teacher , Educational Support Services, SJSD
- Katarina Schilling
- John VanWalleghem, Educational Solutions Manitoba
- Lesley Weisshaar, MSIP
- Joan Zaretsky, Educational Solutions Manitoba
- Claire Zeijdel, Sales Rep. and Professional Development, Bridges
Plus, join us for the 23rd Annual “Yes I Can!” Awards at 7:00 p.m. Thursday, February 21, 2013 in the Victoria Inn Ballroom.
MCEC Conference Highlights 2012
Presenters - Carol Ann Tomlinson & William Clay Parrish, Jr.
Cover - Differentiated Instruction: Who, What & Why? (PDF 197 KB)
Overview - Differentiated Instruction: Who, What & Why? (PDF 1.46 MB)
Cover - Instructional Strategies for Differentiating Instruction (PDF 278 KB)
Overview - Instructional Strategies for Differentiating Instruction (PDF 2.25 MB)
Student Analysis (PDF 197 KB)
Presenter - Karmen Krahn
Brain Boxes: Improving Intervention Outcomes through Self-Understanding (PPT 21 MB)
Special Area Group of Educators
Contact Rod Lauder or Linda Calloway at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAGE 2012 Information & Forms available later this year.